Ever find yourself craving a latte, but don’t want to leave the house to get one? Or maybe you want to impress your guests with a homemade latte, but don’t know where to start? With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of know-how, you can create a perfectly frothy and flavorful latte in the comfort of your home—not to mention cut back on your coffee spending. Grab your favorite mug and let’s get started!
- 1 shot of espresso (or 1/2 cup of strong brewed coffee)
- 1 cup of milk (any type of milk can be used)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla syrup (or 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Espresso machine or coffee maker
- Milk frother or whisk
- Coffee mug
- Brew one shot of espresso using an espresso machine or make a half-cup of strong coffee using a coffee maker.
- While the espresso is brewing, heat the milk in a saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Heat the milk until it is steaming hot, but not boiling.
- Froth the milk using a milk frother or whisk until it is foamy and creamy. The milk should double in volume and form a velvety microfoam.
- Add the vanilla syrup or extract to the milk and stir well.
- Pour the espresso or strong coffee into a coffee mug.
- Slowly pour the frothed milk over the espresso or coffee.
- Spoon some of the foam on top of the latte.
- Optional: top with whipped cream for added sweetness.
- Serve hot and enjoy your homemade vanilla latte!
- If you don’t have an espresso machine, you can use a stove-top moka pot or a French press to make strong coffee.
- If you don’t have a milk frother, you can whisk the milk vigorously by hand to create foam.
- You can adjust the sweetness of the latte by adding more or less vanilla syrup, or by using a different type of syrup, such as caramel or hazelnut.
Hi my name is Larry, a coffee aficionado from the US. I have already visited Colombia, Sumatra, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Ethiopia and Jamaica in my pursuit of finding the best-tasting coffee beans. I currently write from Bali and enjoy the relaxed life that you can only find in Canggu. Welcome to my coffee world!